Monday, January 08, 2007

Falling stars need parachutes



















A muse bit me recently.

I was asked to create a picture book by a friend of mine a few months after she gave birth to a lovely baby girl. I accepted, but mulled over it for many months before the story fell into my head. Honestly, I think it happened on the toilet. (Anyone else see that 'epiphany toilet' episode of Scrubs?)

I did this sketch today, after spending the last week or so nutting out designs, layouts and text. It might become part of the cover.

The children's book is a difficult form. There are so many conflicting parameters to consider - the story needs simplicity but depth and the syntax needs to be precise and concise but warm. The freedom afforded, however, by a target audience unencumbered by an adult reality is a blessing.

I haven't picked up a pencil to sketch in many years. My drawing hand felt stiff and uncertain, but it felt like home.

The tentative title is "FALLING STARS NEED PARACHUTES." I was going to toss it out but it's growing on me.

No comments: