Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Back in the game...but still losing

Humour me for a few minutes and let channel a bit of Bridget Jones. Somewhere in the last three months I had bought into the myth that as a fresh new male doctor I suddenly represented security, benevolence and good grooming to the opposite sex - the next best thing to George Clooney. My mojo, despite being battered through some abortive campaigns during uni, had been instantly rejuvenated! Bouyed by an inflated sense of self-worth and amnesia over past failures I headed back into the trenches of the dating battlefield.

Day 1; 2000hrs, Dizzy's Jazz club 6/4/06
I roll up to Dizzy's alone to see Axle Whitehead, the VJ on Video Hits and a former Idol contestant. It's an extremely crisp night in Melbourne. Dizzy's is a cute little club where the people standing at the bar are literally within spitting distance of the performer. It used to be an old post office, so what it loses in floor area it makes up for in history. It is so small though, that the poor girl selling tickets at the door is sitting outside the club in an equally tiny vestibule warming her hands to an element heater that might just be warm enough to heat her left pinky.

I pay for the cover charge, and she says to me, "I really like your jacket." This in itself is unfamiliar enough to make me bluster and bluntly change the topic to the weather. I excuse myself and head indoors. Indoors it's warm enough for the mojo to thaw out, which somehow gives me the chutzpah to head back out.

"Do you, um, want something to drink?"

She seems surprised by this for a moment, but goes with it and smiles,

"Um, a peppermint tea would be great."

"Uh, one or two sugars?"

"A dollop of honey, thanks a lot."

We exchange names. She speaks with confidence and ease and it doesn't surprise me when she says she's a politics/english major hoping to become a journalist. Her nature is easy-going and inquisitive which I find initally very comfortable until she stumbles on the fact that I'm a doctor which she finds fascinating.

I'm not particularly ready for this - she has a myriad of interesting questions to which I have boring answers (dropping the gory details of the latest failed faecal disimpaction is fun with friends but simply kamikaze with a stranger), and as anyone who's seen the 40 Year Old Virgin knows, you really ought to be talking about her, not you. I find myself trying every conversational tact but each somehow leads back to doctoring - parents: her father is a doctor, what's uni like: must be nothing like working as a doctor. It's like trying to play chicken, only you're driving a tram.

After the show I try to find her to say goodbye but she's gone. As I drive off I spot someone that looks suspiciously like her making out with a bald dude at a tram stop.

Scoreboard: Dave 0; Axis of women 1

Day 2; 2400hrs, Lavish nightclub 7/4/06
I go out for after work drinks to try and get to know some of my colleagues and end up trawling with two hotshots who dress big and talk bigger. When I talk about buying into the myth that young male doctors are the shit, I've only got options. These guys are majority shareholders.

Lavish on Fridays is an Asian club. I've been wary of trying to meet women at Asian nights, not just for fear of rejection, but for fear of getting stabbed, trolley-pole'd or otherwise violently beaten down for looking at someone's woman the wrong way. Tonight I swallow these fears with a few potent Jager bombs. For those of you not familiar with the Jager bomb - it's a shot of Jagermeister thrown down in half a can of Red Bull. It is essentially a drink that mangles your common sense by over-caffeinating your senses to the point where you gleefully allow the Jagermeister to sneak up on your inhibitions and stomp on them.

I'm wobbling somewhat, and decide that the previous night's trial of the "I'm a doctor" card was not rugged enough. Shamelessly I go up to a girl who caught my eye earlier in the night. She's got good game - well dressed in a slinky strapless, and stylish looking despite rocking the 80s hairstyle that's in fashion these days. I can't complain, because it means her hair is up off her shoulders, and she scores points for elegance.

Amateurishly, the words that come out do not reflect the situation. I hear myself say,

"Hi, I like your style. Let me introduce you to someone, this is my friend, he's a doctor."

I'm such a n00b. Now, granted, my opening gambit wasn't particularly clever, but my friend should have prepped me a little better - as it turns out this girl I tried to introduce him to was friends with a girl that he has this on/off thing with. She came back to me later,

"Your friend? He's a player. He's a doctor? You're a doctor? You know, I don't trust doctors. You and lawyers, you're all full of shit."

So much for elegance. And please, don't ask me why I tried to introduce this girl to my friend, when I had my own eye on her. I blame the Jager.

Scoreboard: Dave 0; Axis of Women 2

Day 3; 2300hrs Unk cafe, 8/4/06
I'm at a 25th birthday party of a friend of a friend. I'm telling my good friend what I have just told you, and he's talking out of his ass, the sort of talk you can talk when you are fortunate enough to be in a stable relationship. He's goading me into chatting up the waitress. There's no alcohol on board, but he's talking just enough to make me do this so I can shut him up.

His girl offers me a way in - this waitress has an accent. Why not ask her where she's from?

Some of you might know that I've not had a great record at chatting up foreign waitresses. The most famous knock-back I've received was, "I'm sorry, I don't speak English" followed by an immediate exit.

Still, let the fact that I continued impress on you my immense desire to shut my boy up. The cute waitress turns up with some appetizers, and I take my chance,

"I notice you have an accent..." (again, no points for an elegant opening) "...where are you from?"

She's from Germany, on a working Visa. In a couple of weeks time she's heading off to New Zealand. I recommend the South Island, having *never* been there, and desperately try to dig some high school German out of the dusty crate I call the hippocampus. Banishing the long repressed memory of Frau Graham's tobacco stained teeth and oddly masculine voice I sheepishly utter,

"Um...wie heissen Sie?"

She laughs at the stilted formal grammar and answers,

"Katie"

and walks off.

Scoreboard: Dave 0; Axis of Women 3

1 comment:

jz said...

dave, dave, dave....
really am not sure what to say...
but felt i had to leave a mark.
ta!