Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Swallowed

Gen Med is still running me like a bitch. I hesitate to really scream because it sounds like it was much, MUCH, worse the rotation prior to mine, and also because I just read esme and Dr J's blogs and the poor bastards are going through worse. But, like last post, a quick summary, in numbers:

  1. 5 registrars in 2 weeks sucks hard. Less continuity and more dead-air time than a David "Mullholland Drive" Lynch movie. HOWEVER,the only thing that sucks harder than 5 registrars in 2 weeks is...
  2. 0 (ZERO) registrars in the last 2 days.
  3. 2 cute registrars (on other units), 1 cute physio and 2 cute nurses; however given the sleep-deprivation and general time-stress I've taken to smiling nervously and bowing my head like a pleb to their goddess each time I pass them in the corridor.
  4. 2 young and very pretty female consultants, 1 of whom I confused for a medical student on the first day of the rotation (luckily I didn't say anything out loud). Seriously: this petite, slim Asian girl/woman strolled into the handover room wearing this woollen grey bob one piece skirt/dress, grey matching nylons, huge puffy handbag (I mean huge by "cutesy Asian" standards) and white heels. What else was I supposed to think?
  5. 5 other cool interns (1 colleague on my team, 4 on other medical units)
It's not too bad, but when you get back home at 2200hrs and you find your similarly-aged neighbour is breakdancing in the car lot in the full moonlight just for the hell of it, you start to wonder where the fun is going in your life. Then, when he tells you he's already bought a house on a hill in New Zealand and he's going to move back there when he has a family, you wonder how some people managed to get smart. Not book smart. Just real smart.

2 comments:

J said...

dude... go find the nearest bathroom, lock yourself in it and yell at the cistern as loud as u can.
If thats not a feasible option just grab your pager and launch it onto the roof of the hospital.
Feeling ur pain bro.

jz said...

ARG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(multiply the size of that by 10000000 million times and crank up the volume)

i hate hate hate hate hate hate hate gen med! and ugh overtime on top of it all.

i think the only thing that has stopped me from cracking thus far[apart from the usual good food (like chocolate!) and the knowledge that there is someone amazingly good and in charge of this world]...
is that some of the other interns have been amazingly kind and my reg is fantastic, so i don't know how you're doing it dave... (hmmm... oggling at the opposite sex?!!)
hang in there!
maybe get a punching bag or take up moonlight tap dancing =P

[gonna cry when my reg goes on holidays in a few weeks time =`( just counting down the weeks... ]