Thursday, May 04, 2006

Rumble 2

Probably going to get a serve from the boss tomorrow.

I went on strike today at a doctor's stop work meeting, and didn't tell my boss I was going. I did hand my pager to another intern to cover but after that I just left.

I'll tell you why.

This week, as the previous posts have alluded to, has not been a Good Week. I've been bounced up and down trying to organize tests for my patient with PR bleeding who is such a lovely man that it infuriates me every time my boss flips the script and tells me to tell him we've got a new plan.

My fellow colleague was doing her best to be the advocate for another patient who our boss deemed to not have a surgical problem - so she had to go home. She was still vomiting and complained of dizziness. Physiotherapy was not happy to let her go home. My colleague had to fight to suggest that we at least transfer her care to the Medical team.

I was Not Impressed. Check that - We were Not Impressed.

It probably would have taken me two seconds to send my boss a page saying I was going, or duck into theatre to say so, but at that point in time I Simply Did Not Care Enough.

I realize that that action was very passive-aggressive of me. I should probably have the stones to say out loud to my registrar that he ought to pick up his game. Maybe I should have the heart to just shoulder this rubbish. Maybe I should have the brains to get a step ahead.

The tin man, lion and scarecrow rolled in one.

I envy you who aren't all that worried about being nice or polite. I really want to rumble and rage but I fear that just don't know how.

1 comment:

J said...

feel sorry for u dude...
yeah its hard to be assertive and break balls like other dr's...
but i think it'll make u a better dr by being nice and not wanting to kill everything in ur path.