Saturday, March 03, 2007

New sound

I'm a bit mystified by this whole 'emo' music thing. As far as I can gather from my kid sister the main defining characteristic of emo bands are the tight jeans and floppy haircuts, which doesn't help me imagine them any differently from bands from the 80s.

I'm spinning the new disc from Fall Out Boy, called Infinity on High, which I'm told is sort of emo-pop. It's a pretty catchy mix of rock styles - a little bit Coldplay/U2 anthemic, a little bit Maroon 5 crooning, and very much punk.

Their lyrics are the best (and the true emo) part, with titles like "I'm like a lawyer (how I'm always trying to get you off)", lines like "the best way to make it through with hearts and wrists intact is to realize two out of three ain't bad" and "I want these words to make the wrong things right, but it's the wrongs that make the words come to life."

C-C-Crazy C-C-Catchy!

3 comments:

aznucdboy said...

I like Maroon 5 crooning :-) I also enjoy Fall Out Boy. Panic at the Disco is also fun, though I can't tell you why. I'm flabbergasted by your eloquent mind dumps. I hope this finds you well cuz. :-)

Anonymous said...

POST MORE PLEASE!!!
:-) coffs chick

wim said...

yeah post more.
i want to see the photos from your wild birthday party with the strippers and all!