Sunday, January 08, 2006

Hotel Banana: you can check out but you can never leave

I moved into a new unit last week, which has been dubbed Hotel Dave and, in a nice piece of alliteration by Ben, Motel Mai. However, in the interests of continuity to this blog, I'm calling it Hotel Banana.

Hotel Banana welcomed its first guests, Dr Sheila Cheng and Dr Carmen Yip, who were in Melbourne on a cultural exchange conference for a few days.

I was taken aback by the look of wonder on their faces when they first saw the unit - I had only seen that sort of look when young children or large servings of chocolate were in close vicinity. I guess I have to thank my Scandinavian sponsors, IKEA (R), for helping Hotel Banana attain such kudos as "it's like a showroom" and "like my dream apartment ^_^". (That said, I'm most proud of my coffee table display, made out of two pieces of glass cribbed from an old TV cabinet: priceless)

Later, when my male friends came to visit they were similarly glowing, with praises such as "get some" and "you'd better".

The couch downstairs is now officially public domain, and you're all welcome to come and bask in the cosmopolitan crowning achievement that is Melbourne city - which would help me rediscover a city that I forgot about while I was busy being a nerd.

(That said, Carmen was busting my balls all week about not knowing my hood and she very nearly made it onto the new "banned-for-life" list, which also includes Osama bin Laden, George W Bush and Crazy Frog. So be nice.)

Check the pics.

No comments: